Laura Kass-Moreno, Esq.
Laura began practicing law in 1982. Her vast experience includes civil litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex business, employment and real estate matters, as well as handling a variety of insurance matters and claims. Laura has been a credentialed mediator since 1999 with expertise in contract disputes, employment/workplace issues, personal injury/insurance claims, real estate and homeowner’s association matters and has conducted numerous, multi-party facilitations involving a wide range of challenging issues. She is also a mediation/conflict management and diversity and equity trainer for the National Conflict Resolution Center (NCRC) and the mentor for NCRC’s Credential Program. She has trained and/or provided customized workshops for many reputable mediators currently practicing in San Diego. Laura’s years of experience provide her with the creative, strategic bandwidth to successfully mediate cases to resolution.
Laura believes that, as long as the parties are talking, there is hope for resolution and she has built a reputation for being persevering yet patient, insightful and creative. Clients appreciate the fact that she uses every effort to settle a dispute. She also successfully mediated the controversial matter between representatives for the Children’s Pool in La Jolla and the Animal Rights Protection League. Unwilling to be discouraged, Laura was able to assist the parties to reach a detailed, concrete resolution which made it possible for such highly opposing interests to co-exist in peace.
Superior Court Ordered Civil Mediations:
- Civil Limited: $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
- Civil Unlimited: $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
- $125 non-refundable administrative fee per party
HOA Pre-litigation Mediations:
- $800/3 hours + $400 per hour thereafter.
- $800 flat rate for up to three hours. $400 per hour thereafter.
- $150 non-refundable administrative fee per party
For all HOA mediations: please contact the WCRG Coordinator, Smhale Leon: email@example.com or 619-238-2400 ext. 259
- Half day – $2,000 flat rate: includes preparation, pre-mediation conference and 4 hours of mediation time; $400 per hour thereafter, in 1/2 hour increments
- Full day – $4,000 flat rate: includes preparation, pre-mediation conference and 8 hours of mediation time; $400 per hour thereafter, in 1/2 hour increments.
- $225 non-refundable administrative fee per party
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
- Friedemann & Menke (Orange, CA) – Business and Real Estate Litigation, 1981 – 1986
- Murchison & Cumming (Los Angeles, CA)
- Professional Malpractice and Real Estate Litigation, 1986 – 1988
- Corporate Counsel and Consultant, 1988 – 1991
- NTN Buzztime, Inc., 1993 – 1998
- Corporate counsel responsible for all aspects of the Company’s business including litigation, transactions, regulatory matters, employment issues, and the licensing, protection and enforcement of proprietary intellectual property rights.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
- Member, California State Bar – 1982 through Present
- San Diego Superior Court Civil Mediation Panel
- Member, C.A.R. Mediation Panel for Consumers
- Forum National Mediation Panel
- Member Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Center for Organizational Effectiveness, Consultant
- San Diego County Bar Association
- New England School of Law, Boston, MA 1978 – 1981
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA 1974 – 1978, Government and Economics
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES:
Laura has mediated hundreds of cases in a variety of areas, including:
- Employment and Workplace Disputes
- Military Employment Cases
- Homeowner’s Association Issues
- Business Contract Disputes
- Intellectual Property and Transactional Entertainment Law Disputes
- Personal Injury and Insurance Claims
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate Cases
- Professional Liability
- Community/Neighborhood Matters
- Mediation and Conflict Management Trainer for University of San Diego Law School, U.S. Customs Border Protection, U.S. Navy and Marines, City and County of San Diego and Jobcorp
- Trainer of Communication and Intercultural Diversity Skills, San Diego State University
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS:
- Selected Mediator of the Month, San Diego Attorney Journal
- Mentor for National Conflict Resolution Center Credential Candidates
“Laura Kass-Moreno [is] a mediator and attorney extraordinaire. Laura taught a four-day interactive course which I just attended (virtually) for mediators. Her insight and instruction were phenomenal. As you know, along with my law practice, I have acted as a mediator for many years. I observed Laura as she mediated hypothetical cases and critiqued attendees throughout the course. Her technique and critiques were excellent. I learned much from her. I encourage you to contact Laura for your mediation needs. She is very approachable and has a wealth of knowledge and experience.”
— David Bright, Esq. of White and Bright, LLC.
“Ms. Kass-Moreno not only conducts mediations, but trains both new and experienced mediators. She is a highly regarded mediator with an excellent reputation. Her work ethic is well above the norm and her integrity is unassailable. I highly recommend her.”
— Judge Adrienne Orfield, Ret.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS:
Laura enjoys spending time with her family, cooking, beach walks, hiking and jazzercise.
“What Makes Mediation Work and Why Everyone Benefits,” Trial Bar News
“Keep Them Talking,” California Lawyer Magazine
San Diego Attorney Journal, December 2014 – Featured Mediator of the Month