Kristin Rizzo is a full-time neutral who believes that parties seeking to resolve a dispute through mediation deserve a partner in resolution - a mediator who is dedicated to her clients, has a command of the details of the case, the needs of the parties, and the underlying complexity of the law involved. Passionate about dispute resolution, Kristin uses her strong work ethic, empathy, and tenacity to help parties resolve their disputes in creative and meaningful ways.
Kristin specializes in employment mediation, from internal workplace disputes and post-investigative matters, to pre-litigation and litigated employment matters. She is also skilled at mediating breach of contract, fair housing, and emotionally charged matters. With her years of prior experience representing both employees and companies in a wide range of employment law matters and recognized as a San Diego Super Lawyer in Employment Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution, Kristin is committed to resolving your matter.
Every mediation with Kristin is set up for success as she offers a full complement of tailored services that start prior to the mediation and may continue post-mediation. Kristin becomes involved with your matter early, through a pre-mediation conference with each counsel, seeking information about counsel’s and client’s goals for the mediation, any obstacles to resolution, and inviting counsel’s input on factual and legal issues. Kristin continues her preparation for your mediation by reviewing all materials submitted in advance and customizing a mediation plan. As most of Kristin’s matters resolve at mediation, Kristin is ready to assist you with settlement document execution to finalize the resolution at the mediation. And, because some matters just need a little bit more time, if your case does not resolve during the session, Kristin offers her continued assistance through post-mediation communications and/or a settlement proposal to find your resolution.
Building consensus on a host of topics with a diversity of opinions, Kristin recognizes that a calm, knowledgeable, and collaborative presence can instill parties with confidence that the correct resolution has been reached. Kristin has gained these skills from years of leadership, including many years with the San Diego County Bar Association, ultimately serving as the association’s President, successfully leading a Board of Directors and a membership of nearly 10,000 legal community members in 2018. In 2019, Kristin was recognized by the San Diego Metro Magazine as a top leader under 40. She has also been active in numerous other organizations; she leads the Professional Development Group for the Southern California Mediation Association; she has an advisory role to the Dean of her law school on the Board of Visitors; and appointed by the Mayor and City Council, she is a Commissioner on the San Diego Human Relations Commission.
A cum laude graduate of the University of California at San Diego, Kristin holds bachelor’s degrees in Political Science – International Relations and Spanish Literature and obtained her juris doctor degree from the University of San Diego School of Law. She received her mediator training from the National Conflict Resolution Center and Pepperdine University’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution. Kristin further gives back to her community by offering discounted and pro-bono mediation services on several distinguished mediator panels, including the San Diego Superior Court panel, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) pro-bono panel, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) pro-bono panel.
Kristin is a native of San Diego. She is married and has two daughters. She enjoys time with her family and friends, red wine and chocolate, traveling, camping, and spending time in the sun and at the beach, on the island of Kaua’i, and on Glen Lake (MI).
Full day: $4,000 + administrative fee
- Includes pre-mediation consultation and communication, preparation time and review of briefs, up to 8 hours of mediation session time on a single calendar day, and Mediator’s post-session follow-up (at Mediator’s discretion)
Three-quarter day: $3,000 + administrative fee
- Includes pre-mediation consultation and communication, preparation time and review of briefs, and up to 6 hours of mediation session time on a single calendar day, and Mediator’s post-session follow-up (at Mediator’s discretion)
Half day: $2,500 + administrative fee
- Includes pre-mediation consultation and communication, preparation time and review of briefs, and up to 4 hours of mediation session time on a single calendar day, and Mediator’s post-session follow-up (at Mediator’s discretion)
Additional time: $450 per hour
- Extended mediation session time and continuing settlement discussions, including Mediator’s Proposal, will be billed at $450 per hour on a half-hourly basis
Additional Fee: $350 per party
- Any case involving three or more parties will be billed an additional $350 for each additional party
Administrative Fee: $195 per party
- A non-refundable administrative fee will be charged for every mediation
For cases in Orange County, Kristin requires a three-quarter day, but does not charge for travel time. For cases in Los Angeles County, Kristin requires a full day, but does not charge for travel time. Superior Court Ordered Civil Mediations
- Civil Unlimited: $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $450 per hour thereafter.
- Civil Limited: $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $450 per hour thereafter.
- Additional time: $450 per hour. Extended mediation session time and continuing settlement discussions, including Mediator’s Proposal, will be billed at $450 per hour on a half-hourly basis.
Fees and costs for any mediation, whether private or through the Superior Court’s Civil Mediation Program, are the obligation of the parties and their attorneys, jointly and severally, unless otherwise agreed.
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
2019 – present / Mediator, Workplace Investigator, President/Founder - Rizzo Resolution
2011 – 2019 / Litigation Attorney, Strategic Representation of Employees and Employers, Mediator, Workplace Investigator, President/Founder - Rizzo Law, PC
2007 – 2011 / Litigation Attorney - Higgs, Fletcher & Mack, LLP
2005 – 2007 / Litigation Attorney, Law Clerk - Hosey & Bahrambeygui
Education & Professional Affiliations:
2017 - Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law, Mediating the Litigated Case
2011 - National Conflict Resolution Center, Introductory Mediation Skills Training
2006 - University of San Diego School of Law, J.D.
- Federal District Court Judicial Legal Extern
- Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office Law Clerk
2001 - University of California, San Diego, B.A. Political Science International Relations, B.A. Spanish Literature
- Cum Laude Honors
San Diego County Bar Association
- President 2018, Treasurer 2015, New Lawyer Division President 2010
- Board of Directors 2010, 2014 – 2019
- Labor & Employment Section Chair 2013, Member
- Alternative Dispute Section, Member
University of San Diego School of Law
- Law Alumni Board: Executive Committee 2014 – 2016, Board of Directors 2012 – 2016
- Board of Visitors: 2019 – present
Commissioner - City of San Diego Human Relations Commission, 2020-present Kristin is member of the following organizations: California Bar Association; California Lawyers Association; Southern California Mediation Association; San Diego County Bar Association – Employment Law and Alternate Dispute Sections; Enright Inn of Court; San Diego Inn of Court, Trial Program, Graduate; Association of Workplace Investigators; Lawyers Club of San Diego; San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association; Tom Homann LGBT Law Association.
ADR Experience & Specialties:
Kristin mediates all types of employment matters and workplace disputes:
- Internal Workplace Disputes
- Bullying, Cyber-Bullying/ Abusive Conduct Claims
- Preferential Treatment Claims
- Workplace Coronavirus Claims
- Post-Investigative Disputes
- Pre-Litigation Matters
- Litigated Matters
- Post-Verdict/ Appellate Matters
- Hostile Work Environment/ Harassment, Sexual Harassment
- Discrimination/ ADA, Disability, Age, Gender, Race, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Pregnancy, National Origin, Military
- Retaliation and Whistleblower
- Leaves of Absence and Accommodation
- Assault/ Sexual Assault
- Severance Claims
- Wrongful Termination
- Wage and Hour
- Representative Matters (Private Attorneys General Act - PAGA) and Class Actions
Kristin also mediates the following matters:
- Business and Contractual Disputes (Trade Secret, Fiduciary Duty)
- Statutory Housing
- Disability and Disability Access (Unruh) Claims
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Emotionally Charged Matters
In addition to private mediation, Kristin serves as a pro bono mediator for the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Achievements & Awards:
- Super Lawyers, Alternative Dispute Resolution, San Diego, 2020
- Super Lawyers, Employment Attorney, San Diego, 2019
- 40 Under 40, San Diego Metro, 2018
- San Diego County Bar Foundation, For Service and Support, 2018
- Super Lawyers, Employment Attorney Rising Star, San Diego, 2015 – 2018
- Top San Diego Employment Law Attorney, The Daily Transcript, 2013
- Red Boudreau Trial Lawyers Judge David R. Thompson Recognition, 2012
- University of San Diego, School of Law, Distinguished Recent Alumni Recognition, 2011
- Top San Diego Employment Law Young Attorney, The Daily Transcript, 2009, 2011
- Bar Star, San Diego County Bar Association, 2009, 2010
- Avvo, Super Rated Attorney, Highest Rating, 10.0
“Kristin Rizzo is amazing at what she does.” - Plaintiff in an employment mediation alleging national origin harassment and discrimination, 2019.
"Thank you for your monumental efforts in getting our complex case resolved. Your demeanor with our clients was very effective in putting them at ease with the process. My co-counsel and I both really enjoyed working with you and we hope to do so again in the future very soon.”
– San Diego Employment Attorney
“Thank you for your hard work on this matter to help the parties get it resolved. I will definitely use you again when the opportunity arises and will also recommend you to others whenever I have the chance. You were persistent and did not give up when settlement appeared to be impossible. We appreciate your hard work and tenacity!”
– Los Angeles Plaintiff’s Employment Attorney
“Thank you, Kristin. I know having you as our mediator really helped with my client’s nerves. Both she and I were both very appreciative of the outcome and really thankful to you for all your work.”
– San Diego Employment Attorney
“Extremely effective! Ms. Rizzo is one of the most effective, productive and kind mediators I have worked with. She was very informed about the issues prior to the start of the process and took a great interest in my client's perspective. She worked tirelessly to get both sides to come to a resolution. I look forward to enlisting her help on future cases.”
- Daphne Delvaux, Senior Trial Attorney, Gruenberg Law
Hobbies & Interests:
Kristin is a native of San Diego. She is married and has two daughters. She enjoys time with her family and friends, red wine and chocolate, playing games, domestic and foreign travel, camping, volunteer work, and in whatever free time she has left – recharging her batteries watching movies or soaking up the sun and splashing around at a beach, lake or pool, especially on the island of Kaua’i and on Glen Lake (MI).
Commentary: Do you know definition of workplace sexual harassment? Legal Source Citation (Feb 9, 2018)
NBC.com, “Accusations in the #MeToo era: How Companies Handle Complaints,” Legal Source Citation (December 17, 2017).
San Diego Union Tribune, “Beyond #Me Too: What You Need to Know About Reporting Sexual Harassment,” Legal Source Citation (December 10, 2017).
Kristin is a frequent author, speaker, and presenter on a variety of topics, including mediation techniques, online dispute resolution, employment law, and current legal issues; for a complete list of Kristin’s media, or to contact her about speaking at your next event, please visit her website at www.rizzoresolution.com
To schedule a mediation please call Case Manager Kathy Purcell at
619-238-7282 or email@example.com.