Kristin believes that parties seeking to resolve a dispute through mediation deserve a mediator who is a patient, attentive listener and has a command of the details of the case, the needs of the parties, and the underlying complexity of the law involved.
With years of experience representing both employees and companies in a wide range of employment law matters, Kristin’s unique background informs a deep understanding of the nuances of employment mediation from both parties’ perspectives. Kristin has mediated conflicts on a broad range of employment matters involving claims of sexual and racial harassment; age, gender, pregnancy, race, disability, and religious discrimination; failure to accommodate; retaliation and whistleblower retaliation; wage and hour disputes; failure to promote; and, wrongful termination disputes.
As a past President of the San Diego County Bar Association, Kristin successfully led a Board of 19 and a membership approaching 10,000 attorneys. Building consensus on a host of topics with a diversity of opinions, Kristin recognizes that calm, knowledgeable and collaborative leadership can instill stakeholders with confidence that the correct solution has been reached.
It’s this skill of consensus-building, combined with her command of employment law, that provides confidence to parties seeking resolution of difficult and nuanced employment matters. Kristin is passionate about helping facilitate conversations between people in conflict, to help find creative solutions to resolve their disputes.
$400 per hour and $195 per party nonrefundable administrative fee, as follows:
- Half day (4 hours): $2,000.00 (includes 1 hour of preparation time to review briefs and a pre-mediation telephone call to all parties) + administrative fee;
- Three-quarter day (6 hours): $3,000.00 (includes 1.5 hours of preparation time to review briefs and a pre-mediation telephone call to all parties) + administrative fee;
- Full day (8 hours): $4,000.00 (includes 2 hours of preparation time to review briefs and a pre-mediation telephone call to all parties) + administrative fee.
For cases in Orange County, Kristin requires a three-quarter day, but does not charge for travel time.
For cases in Los Angeles County, Kristin requires a full day, but does not charge for travel time.
Superior Court Ordered Civil Mediations
- Civil Unlimited: $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
- Civil Limited: $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
Fees and costs for any mediation, whether Private or through the Superior Court’s Civil Mediation Program, are the obligation of the parties and their attorneys, jointly and severally, unless otherwise agreed. Any time in excess of the scheduled mediation session will be charged at the rate of $400 per hour. Excess time will be billed in increments to the nearest one-half (1/2) hour.
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
2019 – present / Mediator, Workplace Investigator, President/Founder - Rizzo Resolution
2011 – 2019 / Litigation Attorney, Mediator, Workplace Investigator, President/Founder - Rizzo Law, PC,
2007 – 2011 / Litigation Attorney - Higgs, Fletcher & Mack, LLP
2005 – 2007 / Litigation Attorney, Law Clerk - Hosey & Bahrambeygui
Education & Professional Affiliations:
2017 - Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law, Mediating the Litigated Case
2011 - National Conflict Resolution Center, Introductory Mediation Skills Training
2006 - University of San Diego School of Law, J.D.
- Federal District Court Judicial Legal Extern
- Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Office Law Clerk
2001 - University of California, San Diego, B.A. Political Science International Relations, B.A. Spanish Literature
- Cum Laude Honors
San Diego County Bar Association
- President 2018, Treasurer 2015, New Lawyer Division President 2010
- Board of Directors 2010, 2014 – 2019
- Labor & Employment Section Chair 2013, Member
- Alternative Dispute Section, Member
University of San Diego School of Law, Law Alumni Board
- Executive Committee 2014 – 2016, Board of Directors 2012 – 2016
Kristin is member of the following organizations: California Bar Association; California Lawyers Association – Employment Law and Alternate Dispute Sections; San Diego Inn of Court, Trial Program, Graduate; Association of Workplace Investigators; Lawyers Club of San Diego; San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association; Tom Homann LGBT Law Association.
ADR Experience & Specialties:
Kristin is available to mediate all employment matters, including:
- Harassment and Discrimination (sex/gender, age, race, disability, pregnancy, religion, national origin)
- Retaliation and Whistleblower
- Wrongful Termination
- Breach of Contract (Trade secret, Fiduciary duty, Severance)
- Leaves of Absence and Accommodation
- Wage and Hour and Class Actions (Misclassification, Overtime, Labor Code and Private Attorney General Act (PAGA) penalties)
- Pre-litigation Mediation
Kristin is also available to mediate disability and disability access matters (Unruh claims).
In addition to private mediation, Kristin serves as a pro bono mediator for the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Achievements & Awards:
- Super Lawyers, Employment Attorney, San Diego, 2019
- 40 Under 40, San Diego Metro, 2018
- Super Lawyers, Employment Attorney Rising Star, San Diego, 2015 – 2018
- Top San Diego Employment Law Attorney, The Daily Transcript, 2013
- Red Boudreau Trial Lawyers Judge David R. Thompson Recognition, 2012
- University of San Diego, School of Law, Distinguished Recent Alumni Recognition, 2011
- Top San Diego Employment Law Young Attorney, The Daily Transcript, 2009, 2011
- Bar Star, San Diego County Bar Association, 2009, 2010
- Avvo, Super Rated Attorney, Highest Rating, 10.0
“Kristin Rizzo is amazing at what she does.” - Plaintiff in an employment mediation alleging national origin harassment and discrimination, 2019.
"Thank you for your monumental efforts in getting our complex case resolved. Your demeanor with our clients was very effective in putting them at ease with the process. My co-counsel and I both really enjoyed working with you and we hope to do so again in the future very soon.”
– San Diego Plaintiff’s Employment Attorney
“Thank you for your hard work on this matter to help the parties get it resolved. I will definitely use you again when the opportunity arises and will also recommend you to others whenever I have the chance. You were persistent and did not give up when settlement appeared to be impossible. We appreciate your hard work and tenacity!”
– Los Angeles Plaintiff’s Employment Attorney
“Thank you, Kristin. I know having you as our mediator really helped with my client’s nerves. Both she and I were both very appreciative of the outcome and really thankful to you for all your work.”
– San Diego Employment Attorney
Hobbies & Interests:
Kristin is a native of San Diego. She is married and has two daughters. She enjoys time with her family and friends, playing games, domestic and foreign travel, hosting and attending parties, volunteer work, wine, chocolate and in whatever free time she has left – recharging her batteries watching movies or soaking up the sun and splashing around at a beach, lake or pool.
Commentary: Do you know definition of workplace sexual harassment? Legal Source Citation (Feb 9, 2018)
NBC.com, “Accusations in the #MeToo era: How Companies Handle Complaints,” Legal Source Citation (December 17, 2017).
San Diego Union Tribune, “Beyond #Me Too: What You Need to Know About Reporting Sexual Harassment,” Legal Source Citation (December 10, 2017).
Kristin is a frequent author, speaker, and presenter on a variety of topics, including employment law and current legal issues; for a complete list of Kristin’s media, or to contact her about speaking at your next event, please visit her website at www.rizzoresolution.com
To schedule a mediation please contact Case Manager Kathy Purcell at
619-238-7282 or email@example.com.