Judge H. Ronald Domnitz Retired from San Diego Superior Court in 2007 after serving 24 years on the Bench. Thereafter, he immediately entered the Assigned Judges Program and retired in December 2018, for a total of 35 years of judicial experience. Sixteen of those years were primarily devoted to Family Law Assignments.
Judge Domnitz is passionate about guiding self-represented litigants through the divorce process and working with attorneys who recognize that mediation is the best path for their clients.
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
- Elected as Presiding Judge of San Diego Municipal Court in 1987, 1988, 1992 and 1993
- Honored by the San Diego Trial Lawyers Association as “Judge of the Year” on two occasions
- Honored by the Earl B. Gilliam Bar Association
- Elected to Executive Board of California Judges Association 1985-1988
- Appointed to Executive Committee of California Judges Association in 1987
- Served as Chair of Benefit and Retirement Committee, California Judges Association 1988 and 1989
- Served as Chair of Court Administration Committee, California Judges Association 1990-1991, 1991-1992
- Appointed by Chief Justice to serve as a Pro Tem Appellate Justice for two-month period in 1990 and to the following Judicial Council Committees: (1) Uniform Court Rules; (2) Judicial Profiles
- Elevated to Superior Court December 1, 2998 upon unification of courts
- Honored by San Diego Family Law Specialists in December 2010 for “Lifetime of Judicial Service” to Family Courts
Education & Professional Affiliations:
- Graduated from University of California at Los Angeles in 1964 with a BA degree in International Relations (Latin America).
- Earned a Juris Doctor degree in 1967 from University of Southern California Law School.
- Engaged in the private practice of law (Certified Family Law Specialist 1980) until 1/2/83 when appointed to the Bench.