Elisa Kisselburg is a Certified Legal Specialist In family law and a mediator. She specializes in complex child custody cases, especially those related to families with high assets and complex business valuations, professional athletes, musicians and composers. She practices divorce mediation, and collaborative divorce. Elisa is the newest member of the National Conflict Resolution Center’s Divorce Mediation Group.
What differentiates Elisa as a family law mediator is her approach to working with clients and helping them reach their goals through mediation. She uses her many years of family law litigation experience and understanding of human behavior to guide clients and mitigate the effects of the process on children and families. She is passionate about helping clients understand what is involved in legal divorce proceedings and the family court processes so that they may create a settlement that works for their family situation.
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
Elisa is currently with the San Diego law firm of Basie & Fritz. Elisa was with the Law Offices of Beatrice L. Snider, APC, for five years prior to this.
Education & Professional Affiliations:
- J.D. Creighton University School of Law
- B.A. (cum laude) Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
Admitted to practice
- Federal District Court Southern District
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association (Family, entertainment, ADR, estate planning and international sections.)
- Association of Family Conciliation Courts
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists - San Diego Chapter
- William H. Spire Inn of Courts
ADR Experience & Specialties:
- Certified Legal Specialist-Family, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization.
- Certificate in Dispute Resolution, Creighton University School of Law
Elisa clerked with the City Attorney's Office in Albuquerque, New Mexico, attending hundreds of mediations (including employee, community, water rights and victim- offender mediation) The City utilized mediation as it's first step in any grievance process.
Elisa has a sub-specialty in international custody (including those of children in Islamic marriage contracts). She is also trained in the Collaborative Divorce model and has extensive experience in handling domestic violence issues, domestic partnerships, same sex marriage and working with persons with physical and mental disabilities.
Achievements & Awards:
Elisa has been a presenter on international family law issues at the State Bar of California Annual Conference. She provides training on California family law to attorneys, mental health professionals, and other helping professions.
Elisa has been an attorney presenter for the NCRC Divorce Mediation Group's Third Saturday program since it began.
She has presented on research regarding mediation at the Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution (SPIDR) conference.
- Winner, ABA National Criminal Trial Competition (2001)
- Outstanding Trial Advocate, ABA National Criminal Trial Competition (2001)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Women and the Law
- Creighton University School of Law Domestic Moot Court Board
- Kathleen Severerns Award for Excellence in Mediation
- Arizona State University Martin Luther King Junior Award for Service
- ASASU Student Body President
Hobbies & Interests:
Elisa loves international travel. She is a river guide, outdoor enthusiast, classically trained musician and a huge fan of Latin and West African music.
Recently published (December 2014) in the national Journal of Child Custody on international custody issues.