Black Lives Matter social media posts, protests, and marches in the street, Zoom book clubs, and lots of conversations with friends and family – the racial reckoning in our country has many of us engaging in this national conversation like never before. But what’s next?
The ART of Inclusive Communication 2.0 is an interactive, dialogue focused workshop, where we take a deeper dive into how we can all be actively working to make our communication, our lives, and our organizations more inclusive and anti-racist. During the first part of the workshop, the participants build rapport and skills to help them feel safe in exploring the deeper topics. An atmosphere of respect and shared humanity is developed. Rather than shaming any participant, people are encouraged to acknowledge their efforts and consider additional action. People leave the workshop feeling heard, having learned new insights, and ready to take additional steps toward anti-racism and a more just society.
By the end of the course, participants will have the ability to:
- Create shared agreements that allow for dialogue around challenging topics;
- Apply the skills of inclusive communication in conversations about racism;
- Use active listening to communicate understanding and respect for the experience of others; and
- Express their perspectives in non-confrontational ways.
Paradigm Shift in Attitudes and Beliefs toward Others
By practicing the skills from the course, participants will:
- Understand and value others’ perspectives and experiences;
- Acknowledge their own racial reckoning;
- Recognize their privileges and their relationship to systemic racism;
- Embrace their shared responsibility to overcome racism; and
- Clarify where their values and interests can lead them to further action.