One of the jewels in the Divorce Mediation Group crown is our free workshop, Divorce 101. Offered one Saturday morning a month, Divorce 101 provides anyone going through divorce, or just contemplating it, tons of information about the divorce process and divorce mediation.
Every month we feature a family law attorney, a family law mediator, and a Certified Financial Divorce Analyst as speakers at this four-hour workshop. These professionals cover everything from the initial filing process to understanding a DissoMaster report. Topics discussed include:
- How to file and where to file
- Child and spousal support
- Separate and community property
- Benefits of mediation
- Dissolution v. legal separation
- Date of separation
- Spousal support
- Declarations of disclosure
- Marital Settlement Agreement
- Other divorce professionals
- Pensions and QDROs
- The family residence
- Marital debt
The speakers are happy to answer questions and there is plenty of time for discussion. The setting is informal and inviting; coffee, juice and snacks are available. We provide lots of handouts, including family law forms, code sections and DissoMaster printouts. I have led every Divorce 101 for the last three years, and I still learn something new at each workshop. We get such positive feedback from the attendees. The best compliment someone can give me is that they appreciate the opportunity to learn so much in one place and the time spent offering the information. Here are some of the remarks people have made on the evaluation form:
- "The opportunity to ask our questions was immensely valuable!"
- ". . . thanks for bringing knowledgeable pro fessionals to this discussion."
- "So happy I came. Overwhelming but necessary."
- "This workshop was truly amazing. I’m truly grateful!"
- ". . . you all did a great job . . . to help me understand how the process of divorce works . . ."
- "Almost need 2 sessions to cover the material!"
- "All fantastic!"
- "Very informative session. Thank you!"
- "This was excellent. Thanks."
All Divorce 101 workshops take place at National University (NU) campuses and registering on our website is easy.
Here is our 2018 Divorce 101 schedule:
February 17 – NU La Mesa 7787 Alvarado Rd., La Mesa CA 91941
March 17 – NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
April 21 – NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
May 19 - NU Carlsbad 705 Palomar Airport Rd. #150, Carlsbad CA 92011
June 23 - NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
July 21 - NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
August 18 – NU La Mesa 7787 Alvarado Rd., La Mesa CA 91941
September 15 – NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
October 13 – NU Spectrum Business Park 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego CA 92123
November 18 - NU Carlsbad 705 Palomar Airport Rd. #150, Carlsbad CA 92011
If you or someone you know is ready to learn about the divorce process and how they can benefit from mediation, Divorce 101 is the place to start.