Steve McAvoy has transitioned over 25 years as a civil trial lawyer representing both plaintiffs and defendants into full time mediation. His extensive experience provides him with insight into a variety of legal issues including: personal injury, property loss, construction defect, mechanic’s lien, HOA disputes, commercial disputes, breach of contract, employment issues as well as family matters. Mr. McAvoy’s main focus during mediation is bridging the gap of personal interests between parties. He is aware of the high emotions involved during a dispute and is passionate about resolving issues through compassionate mediation. He also understands that closure is a primary goal in mediation and that the benefits of closure nearly always outweigh the financial costs and emotions of going to trial.
- Civil Limited $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
- Civil Unlimited : $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $400 per hour thereafter.
ALL OTHER CASES: $400 per hour, $175 non-refundable administrative fee per party
HOA RATE: $750/3 hours + $400 for each additional hour. Effective November 1, 2014 there will be a $100 per party administrative fee. $750 flat rate for up to three hours.
$400 an hour thereafter.
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
Over 25 years as a trial lawyer representing both Plaintiffs and Defendants.
Education & Professional Affiliations:
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D. 1985
- University of Virginia, BA, Graduated with Distinction, 1981
- NCRC Mediator Credential Program
- Pepperdine Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Restorative Justice Mediation Program
- San Diego Inns of Court Instructor
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- State Bar of California
ADR Experience & Specialties:
Mediates cases in a variety of areas including:
- Personal Injury
- Construction Defect
- Property Loss
Mr. McAvoy specializes in in all cases in which there is some sort of unique personality issue or highly emotional component.
Hobbies & Interests:
In his spare time, Mr. McAvoy enjoys cooking, a fine wine, yoga, anything rock and roll – he’s currently learning to play guitar, and working on the latest rewrite of a murder mystery.
To schedule a mediation please call Case Manager Kathy Purcell at