Ana Sambold, Esq. is a fully bilingual (English/Spanish) Mediator and Attorney at Law admitted to practice in California, Federal Court Southern District and Colombia. She is a mediator on the San Diego Superior Court Civil Mediation, the National Conflict Resolution Center (NCRC), and the West Coast Resolution Group panels.
Ms. Sambold has extensive experience mediating a wide range of litigated and non-litigated matters. She has successfully conducted, in Spanish and English, over 600 mediations involving complex matters, multi-cultural parties, and highly contentious cases. Thanks to her vast experience as a mediator and her unique multicultural background, she effectively tailors each mediation to the type of dispute and to the personalities involved. Her unique approach and commitment to each case facilitates positive outcomes and durable settlement agreements. Her extensive subject matter expertise includes a broad spectrum of civil litigation matters, with particular emphasis on business and contract disputes, personal injury, real estate transactions, employment, insurance, landlord/tenant, home-owners associations, and family cases.
Ms. Sambold was recently appointed to the California State Bar Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution to advise the Board of Governors on public policy issues related to mediation and arbitration. She is also the legislative liaison for the San Diego County Bar Association and the California Law Revision Commission in regard to changes to mediation confidentiality statutes. She serves on the Board of Directors of the Southern California Mediation Association and is actively involved with the ADR Section of the American Bar Association. She is a professor of law for the California Western Law School masters program, teaches conflict resolution and intercultural diversity with NCRC and is a frequent speaker at ADR events.
Superior Court Ordered Civil Mediations:
- Civil Limited: $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $300 per hour thereafter.
- Civil Unlimited: $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $300 per hour thereafter.
All Other: $300 p/hr, plus $175 non refundable administrative fee
Legal Career & Prior Experience:
- Mediator, National Conflict Resolution Center (2004-2010)
- Mediator, West Coast Resolution Group (2010-present)
Education & Professional Affiliations:
Received over 500 hours of mediation and conflict resolution training from:
- Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation, Advanced Mediation Workshop: Mediating Complex Disputes (Boston, 2016)
- Pepperdine University School of Law- Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution, Mediating the Litigated Case (2012)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for AAA Arbitrators (Los Angeles, 2016), Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding Deciding & Writing Awards (2016), Drafting ADR Provisions (San Diego, 2016), Addressing the Challenges of Demanding Arbitrations (2017), Process Management Agendas in Arbitration; Roadmap to Success (2017).
- American Bar Association, Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute (San Diego, 2011), 14th Annual Spring Conference (Washington, 2012), 15thAnnual Spring Conference (Chicago 2013), 16th Annual Spring Conference (Miami, 2014), 17th Annual Spring Conference (Seattle, 2015), 18th Annual Spring Conference (New York City, 2016), 9th Annual Arbitration Training Institute (Chicago, 2016), 19th Annual Spring Conference (San Francisco, 2017)
- National Conflict Resolution Center, Introductory and Advanced Mediation training (2011), Mediator Credential Program (2011), Mediating the Litigated Case (2011), Conflict Resolution in the Workplace (2013), The Exchange and Train the Trainer programs (2012 and 2013)
- American Institute of Mediation, Advanced Track for Experienced Mediators (Pepperdine University, 2014 and 2015), The Soft Human Underbelly (2016), Client Relations Strategies, (2016), Ethics in ADR (2016)
- Southern California Mediation Association, The Working Mediator: Improving the Culture of Conflict (Pepperdine University School of Law, 2012), Expanding the Field of Conflict Resolution (Pepperdine University, 2013), Lying for the Sake of the Deal (University of Southern California Law School, 2016), Mediation Certification and Mediation Confidentiality (University of Southern California Law School, 2016), (Pepperdine University, June 2017)
- SCMA Employment Mediation Institute, Best Practices and Pitfalls in Negotiating Employment Law Disputes in Mediation (Pepperdine University School of Law - Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, 2016), Mediating Employment Cases in Changing Times (2017)
- State Bar of California, Annual Meeting (San Diego, 2016), Real Estate Section Retreat (2017), The Legal Transactional, and Financial Toolkit for Residential Real Property Acquisitions and Sales (2017)
- San Diego County Bar Association, Recognizing and Overcoming Barriers to Settlement in Mediation (2011), Mediation of Employment Cases (2011), Becoming an Arbitrator (2011), Mediation Potpourri: From Law to Impasse and Beyond (2012), Mediation - From the Adjuster’s Perspective (2012), ADR Legal Developments, Recent Legal Developments in ADR (2012), Mediation Potpourri: From Law to Impasse and Beyond (2012), What’s Getting in the Way of Settlement (2013), Advanced Mediation Skills for Mediators: Issues and Challenges (2014). Confidentiality exception proposed legislation (2015), Employment Arbitration: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (2016), Insurance Law: 2016 Year in Review (2017), Real Property Update (2017), Dispute Resolution Agreements: Functional and Dysfunctional (2017), Civil Trial Advocacy (2017), Reaching Common Ground - Working with Opposing Counsel to Resolve Employer-Employee Disputes (2017), Settlement Issues in Probate/Trust Litigation (2017)
- USC Gould School of Law, First Annual ADR Symposium on ADR Ethics (Los Angeles, 2016), USC-JAMS Arbitration Institute 2nd Annual ADR Symposium Current Issues in International Arbitration (Los Angeles, 2017)
- Better Business Bureau (BBB), Auto Line Arbitration training (San Diego, 2017)
- Global Pound Conference (Los Angeles, 2017)
- San Diego Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Federal Pro-bono Panel representation (2017)
- San Diego Restorative Justice Mediation Program, Victim Offender Reconciliation Program (2014)
- UC San Diego Rady School of Management, Workplace Conflict Management Training (2014)
- Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, Lessons From a Combined 60+Years in Mediation Experience, (San Diego, 2013), Forced Arbitration (2016), Mediation (2016), How the Defense and the Insurance companies value a case (2017)
- Mediators Beyond Borders, Sixth Annual Congress (Istanbul, Turkey 2013), Seventh Annual Peace Congress (Bucharest, Romania 2015)
- Woody Mosten, Family Mediation Training (Los Angeles, 2015)
- Non-Violence Institute, Peer mediation training (Los Angeles, 2016)
- Rotary International, 2016 World Peace Conference (Ontario, 2016)
- Restorative Justice Summit (San Diego, 2016)
- William Todd, Jr., Inn of Court, The Art of Story Telling at Trial (2017)
- Conference of Bar Associations, 2016 Update on CCBA Legislative Program (San Diego, 2016)
- USD Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, Peace Forum (San Diego 2017)
- State of California, Bureau of Real Estate, California Real Estate Agent license
- American Bar Association - Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- California State Bar Association – International and Civil Litigation Sections
- San Diego County Bar Association –Alternate Dispute Resolution, Civil Litigation, Business, Corporate Law, Labor and Employment, Family Law, Real Estate, and International Section
- Southern California Mediation Association – Member of the Board of Directors
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- La Raza Lawyers
- Latinas in the Law
- Mediation Beyond Borders International
- Rotary International
- Rotary Action Group for Peace
- San Diego Association of Realtors
ADR Experience & Specialties:
- Business/Commercial: Effective resolution of disputes involving breach of contract, commercial transactions and debtor/creditor matters; claims arising out of the purchase and sale of businesses, disagreements in the management, dissolution of partnerships and distribution of assets between former partners; disputes over alleged damages caused by professional negligence and alleged misrepresentations; cases resulting out of BBB complaints; claims involving quality of workmanship, construction defect and overcharges.
- Personal Injury: Disputes resulting from motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall, tripping hazards, and other premises liability claims. Claims regarding injuries caused by medical and dental malpractice alleging improper diagnosis, treatment and surgery; civil assault and battery claims.
- Employment: Disputes involving claims and counterclaims for breach of employment contract, wrongful termination, discrimination, wages and harassment.
- Landlord/Tenant: Disputes regarding breach of implied warranty of habitability, quiet enjoyment of property, Temporary Restraining Orders for alleged threats of physical violence, property damages, bad faith retention of security deposits, unpaid rent and utilities, mold related claims, constructive eviction, unlawful detainers, and trespass.
- Real Estate: Resolution of cases arising out of the purchase and sale of real estate; disputes involving easements, boundaries, partition and title; claims of nuisance; necessary disclosures; loan refinancing and foreclosures; Resolution of neighbor disputes over property lines, view, and access to property; civil harassment cases between neighbors.
- Homeowners association: Disputes between homeowner’s association and owners regarding compliance with CC&Rs, failure to pay HOA fees, liability for repairs, restoration of property, unauthorized improvements and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Family: Caretaker and competency issues between adult siblings and their parents; dissolution of marriage; highly emotional disputes between spouses, and parents and teens.
- Insurance: Claims arising out of insurance subrogation matters, reimbursement for payments made by an insurance company to a trust for loss of income and damages caused by third parties.
Achievements & Awards:
- Speaker at the World Mediation Summit in Madrid, Spain on Harnessing the Power of the Master Mediator, an advanced mediation workshop (2016)
- Presenter at the San Diego County Bar Association on Legal Malpractice and Mediation Confidentiality (2016)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Southern California Mediation Association (2016 – Present)
- Judge for American Bar Association National Mediation Competition and Negotiation Law School Competition, New York City (April 2016), Thomas Jefferson School of Law (November 2015), and Washington, D.C. (April 2012)
- Legislative liaison for the San Diego County Bar Association to the California Law Revision Commission on public policy issues related to mediation (2015 – Present)
- Project Coordinator of the International Training Institute in Latino America for Mediators Beyond Borders and Rotary International (2014 – Present)
- Lead bilingual trainer for NCRC in communication, negotiation skills, conflict management, collaborative bargaining, and intercultural diversity (2011- Present)
- Mentor Mediator for University of San Diego School of Law and Peace & Justice Institute students at the San Diego Superior Court -SCC- South Bay and Central Branch (2012 – Present)
- Professor of Law at California Western School of Law Master’s program (2016 – Present)
- Neutral Observer for Mediation Works Incorporated Boston (MWI) (2015 – Present)
- Facilitator for the San Diego Restorative Justice Mediation Program, Victim Offender Reconciliation Program (2014- Present)
- Trainer for San Diego Mediation and Restitution Services, Peer Mediation Training Program (2012 - Present)
- Trainer for the San Diego County Bar Association Children at Risk Committee in Mediation and Conflict Management (2011, 2012)
- Guest lecturer at Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, Mexico, Mediation – Effective Alternative for the Resolution of Conflicts (2011)
Hobbies & Interests:
- Promoting mediation and conflict resolution in the community through education and outreach.
- Developing and implementing peacebuilding projects locally and internationally. She serves as a Project Leader for Mediators Beyond Borders International Training Institute in Latino America, a training designed to prepare a new generation of mediators and peacebuiliders in South and Central America.
- The Art of Mediation: What Davinci and the Master Mediator have in Common?
Published by the World Mediation Summit, 2016
- Mediation Confidentiality: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
Published by the CLRC in Memorandum 2016-30
To schedule a mediation please call Case Manager Kathy Purcell at